Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Cup o' Joe

I've come to the realization that I am a true Seattleite when it comes to coffee. It's been a very slow transition, much slower than many around me, but I must confess that I do love my morning coffee. For the record, I'm not quite at the point where I need coffee to function and don't have it on the weekends very often - but when I get to my desk at work in the morning, there's something truly satisfying about a nice, hot cup o' joe.

It started more socially - I wanted to go to Starbucks downstairs with everyone to hear all the latest and greatest. I'd get some fu fu drink like a tall non-fat cinnamon dulce latte or a soy iced chai. Now, to save a buck or two, but still get the necessary caffeine, I find myself ordering a tall drip coffee (watered down with creamer and sugar, of course). If it hadn't been for a particularly tiring morning, I probably would have never even tried simple drip coffee. It's super nice when we actually have coffee grounds at the office because that makes the habit much cheaper!

I'll give credit to my dad for my delay in coffee-drinking. Back when I was five (yes, a wee little kindergartener), I was disgusted with the taste of my dad's black coffee - So he bet me that I couldn't make it until I was 21 to drink coffee (It seems that the natural bet with a young child would be to not drink alcohol until you're 21, but coffee it is!). We shook on it and his ritual morning coffee served as a constant reminder that the bet was on. Coincidently, I worked at a coffee stand in high school; I found that drinks were delicious even without the shot of espresso. We raised the stakes ($200) right before college because he didn't think I would make it through the study cram sessions without the help of coffee.

My 21st birthday rolled along and I was $200 richer! No coffee since that sip back when I was 5 years old. My first drink was a Caramel Frappuccino and I was not impressed. So for awhile, I stuck with the non-coffee drinks, but eventually built in some coffee choices into my orders.

If I've made it this far, I wonder if I'll ever make it to my dad's coffee-drinking caliber: Double Shot in the Dark. Just as it sounds, two shots of espresso in drip coffee. Black. Ugh, I don't think I can go there.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails