Sunday, December 13, 2009

What do you get when you cross a Christmas wreath, burning candles and a young girl?


Santa Lucia! Always falling on December 13th.

And yes, it’s true, I was Santa Lucia one year. (Actually twice in one year – once for the actual tradition and once for Halloween. Try explaining that costume to your friends at school.)

To be perfectly honest, I didn’t know what I was doing. I was given the outfit, told to walk slowly around in a circle with a wreath carrying burning candles and then… I’m not sure what else. I think I was too traumatized that there was potential of a burning candle falling on my head. (Fine. They were fake candles, but it's still, a nerve-racking experience)


I wore my hair like this too... Which brings me to another story. Remember that American Girl Doll craze? Well, I read all of the books and my fave was Kirsten because we looked alike. Then, like every little girl, I wanted the doll. However, my mom convinced me that I was too old for dolls. Then, like every little girl who wants to be a big girl, I agreed with her and decided to get my fix when I hung out with my younger cousin.

Fast forward 20 years. I was chattin' it up with my girlfriends and somehow the topic of American Girl dolls came up. I was the first to chime in, "Oh yeah, I totally read those books. Too bad we were too old to get the dolls when they finally came out."

My comment was met with confused faces. Then slowly, "Umm, I had one." "Yeah, so did I." "I got Samantha."

Touche, Mom. One day if my daughter asks for a $100 doll, I'll respond accordingly. You're one quick lady!
pics via and via

1 comment:

  1. I had Felicity! She is still in storage at my parents' house, so if you want to play with her sometime, you can make up for lost childhood memories.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails